I have been saying this for years, the holistic psychologist puts it across with such clarity. People view this as being “hard”, “selfish” when it isn’t.
– Parents aren’t your friends they are your caregivers.
– Children aren’t responsible for your caregivers/parents unresolved issues.
– Lack of autonomy creates poor self-esteem and attachment issues around friendships & relationships.
– False expectations of what people can and can’t offer.
Here’s what this could look like in a more balanced presentation.
– Friendships & relationships are built on genuine trust (not fear, control or emotional manipulation).
– Friendship and relationships are about respecting autonomy and developmental journeys.
– True connection is about seeing failure and/or mistakes as normal, taking ownership and moving forward.
– Boundaries are understood & welcomed.
– Being vulnerable without fear of vilification, judgement, and firm honesty.
– By being able to allow yourself and others to be their authentic self.
Paul Isaacs 2022