This a personal account of these issues, my development and my autism profile.
My mother and I where both in distress during her pregnancy – I was born premature and was born via cesarean section and my Mother suffered heavy bleeding as a result of what is called placental abruption.
“Placental abruption happens when there is bleeding behind the placenta, between the placenta and the wall of the uterus (womb). This may be just a small amount of bleeding. But if you have a large amount of bleeding, the placenta may partially or completely separate from the lining of your uterus before your baby is born.”
“25% of babies who experience hypoxic/anoxic injuries at the time of labor will have permanent neurological problems.”
© 2014 Birth Injury Justice.org by Becker Law Firm, L.P.A. All rights reserved.
Aspects Of My Birth
- Cerebral Hypoxia
- Middle Cerebral Artery Syndrome
- Silent Stroke (In Womb)
- Left Hemisphere Brain Injury
My Autism profile consists of many speech, language, perceptual and developmental delays which includes
- Speech Delay (non-verbal 5 year approx with speech regression)
- Motor Coordination Delays (crawled with one arm and didn’t start walking until 18 months old)
- Language Delay (gained functional speech between the ages 7/8 years is that of a 3 year old developmentally)
- Learning Difficulties (dyslexia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia)
- “Mild” Learning Disability
- Visual Agnosias (simultagnosia, semantic agnosia, prosopagnosia, visual-verbal agnosia)
- Auditory Agnosias (pure auditory agnosia, verbal auditory agnosia, receptive and expressive aphasia)
- Body Agnosias (finger agnosia and visual-spatial dysgnosia)
- Hemispatial Neglect (related to brain injury, left-handedness, left-right confusion related to Gerstmann Syndrome)
They also come into play because there are such things as genetic based agnosias, processing issues and learning difficulties which can be passed down from generations to generation (although the fashion in which this is done is highly variable) the cross over with other profiles seems to be there and commonalities are present in some of the conditions such as.
This However Doesn’t Affect My Character or Personhood
Every person is on a journey of self discovery and revelation this doesn’t make me feel sad nor isolated in anyway quite the opposite I’m still “Paul” and all that in entails these aspects of discovery are the trajectory of my development, my learning, my language, my visual processing etc. They are apart of me but don’t ultimately define – I’m still creative, eager to learn, eager to live and with the set of cards I have been dealt I will use them ultimately to the best of my abilities. Hope springs eternal. 🙂
Special Thanks to Donna Williams & Dr Manuel Casanova
Paul Isaacs 2014