David Gooderson’s portrayal of Davros seems to much of an issue over the years – the serial and story Destiny Of The Daleks is unique for many reasons and may well have more reverence in evolution of the Daleks characters themselves but also of their creator
Dalek Personalities & Behaviours
One of the distinct changes in that comes with this serial is in the Daleks themselves they seem to have more exposition than in other stories, they are not drones nor mindless machines but creatures of more instinct. Firstly they want to got back to the person who created them for his help, guidance and knowledge.
They are able to go against code by willing sacrificial extermination for their leader which is one of the more suspenseful aspects of episode four, they interrogate for knowledge but use the people for their own ends rather than just doing away with them. To me this is certainly a worthy evolution of character some say this isn’t good however for this story and echoes of later stories this would certainly would be used.
Davros – David Gooderson
Gooderson’s performance is very good he sets bar that would be used in future portrayals of the character he is angry but at the same time optimistic at what he can do with this creations – to change them and improve upon them this could be seen as the start of the trilogy story arc in fifth, sixth and seventh incarnations of the The Doctor and his “love hate” relationship he has with him. I like his performance for his snide and clever remarks to the doctor with adding dark wit and morbid sarcasm to narrative.
What Could Help?
To be honest a second special edition could help with regards to many of the budgetary aspects of the series at the time. After seeing the amazing job the restoration team had achieved on Day Of The Daleks it seems more likely that it could be done.
Here is my Special Edition wish list
- Ring modulate Davros’ voice (the problem isn’t Gooderson’s portrayal it is the lack of voice distortion)
- Give Davros’ eye a real glow when he comes back to life
- Re-do the Dalek energy blasts again (I liked the Day of the Daleks special edition effects)
- Re-do Movellan gun blasts again
- Reduce judder when Davros is in movement (this may be hard to do but attempt would be great)
- Modify Movellan ship
- Modify Dalek perspectives shots (looking for the Doctor and Davros)
- Touch up the Daleks appearance (cracks, bumps, chipped paint etc)
- Touch up Davros’ chair (cracks, chipped paint)
- Redo The Dalek pursuit scenes – towards the Movellan ships
Davros’ Fan-Made Voice Distortion & Additional Sound Effects
Without Destiny & Gooderson’s performance you would not have the key elements that would make the Dalek serials so interesting in the Davison, Baker & McCoy era. His performance has been overlooked by fans and viewers alike put for me he sets the precedent that would be the continual evolution of the character and to me that is a very important thing to happen in “Who” history.
Paul Isaacs 2015