I have been is the autism “world” as a speaker, trainer and consultant for well over seven years, I do not pretend to know all the answers nor I do project or promote that I have them all I can only speak from first hand experience of myself and the others that have been involved in professional capacity.
A 3D Diagnosis For The Future?
I what would like to offer a foundation of empowerment not because I know best but to give people the opportunity to find out about their “autism” what is made up of and the “mechanics” that go with it.
I have wrote and documented my autism the fact that is made of being brain injured at birth, speech and language delays, sensory agnosias, aphasia, apraxia the fact that I have dealt with mood, impulsive and anxiety disorders also.
Information processing such as
- Sensory Agnosias (being Faceblind, Object Blind and/or Meaning Blind)
- Attention deficits (ADD, ADHD)
- Learning Disabilities
- Apraxias (Oral Apraxia, Fine and Gross Motor Apraxia and Dyspraxia)
- Aphasia (Receptive, Expressive and Mixed)
- Gut, Immune and Metabolic Disorders
- Tissue Connectivity Disorders
- Seizure Disorders
- Mild Brain Injury (Affecting Developmental Pathways and Trajectories)
- Sleep Disorders
- Development (Gender, Sexuality, Self Perception, Environment, Viewing yourself and as a “child”, “teenager” or “adult” regardless of chronological age)
- Adjustment (Family and.or Personal Environment)
- Disorder Extremes (Personality Types/Traits that are not balanced causing problems with overall functioning)
- Mood Disorders (Emotional Dysregulation
- Anxiety Disorders (OCD, Social Anxiety, Generalised Anxiety)
- Impulse Control
- Attachment Disorder
- Dissociative Disorders
- Dietary/Nutrition Disabilities
- Morning the Child
- Learned Helplessness (Dependency Personality Disorder/Co-dependency)
- Presuming Incompetence
- “Cat” People vs. “Dog” People (Exposure Anxiety. PDA, ODD RAD)
- Eating Toothpaste (Gut Disorder and Fluoride Toxicity)
Human Variants of Learning
The fact that being borderline made me emotionally unstable, struggled with boundaries and also being schizotypal made me odd, aloof and detached from people and at times society. These “elements” are all about of my “mix” and words not only for these “pieces” empower not only the person in question but the services they come into contact with also family and friends.
Looking Deeper, Looking Forward, Education & Empowerment
I went through my autism “fruit salad” at an event recently and asked if the diagnosis had pointed out the specific pieces how would they have felt? Also would this model benefit them I came to the conclusion yes because understanding that the word “autism” isn’t one thing but understanding the pieces of their children’s autism was felt to be very important, helpful, empowering and overall was a beneficiary to the services that they would come in contact with. Giving them not just the word “autism” but what it meant for them specifically.
Autism as “Fruit Salad” Video by Donna Williams
“Autism” is not “one thing” it is specific to each person also people do not have an “autistic personality” exclusively although personality types like solitary, idiosyncratic and conscientious would look more “autistic” but are smaller elements in the overall mix.
I do not believe that a person’s autism is everything about them because human beings are made up much more than one element/label/word.
You can get “non-autistic” personality types the people that challenge the stereotypes who could be equally adventurous and mercurial in their ways. For 2017 lets look at this from a broader perspective and empower people with knowledge that is worthy of making a difference.
I am not negative about autism but I am realistic and grounded about what the word means. By finding out the mechanics of what is going that is a positive approach to leading a more fuller, healthier more balanced life.
Paul Isaacs 2017