Note this is from a personal perspective
Alexithymia is a condition in which person cannot find words to express inner emotional feelings, now this doesn’t mean that the person is devoid or lacking in emotion however it can from a outside perspective look like that despite the inner mechanics being quite different.
FILTERING THROUGH EMOTIONS
I shall give you a personal account of this and look at other potential factors. I have a processing and recognition delay of emotion feelings in the context of the event that has happened – in other words from the time the event has happened to the time I get a self response is delayed this can come in the form of
- Words for the the bodily messages that I am feeling
- Being able to piece the situation together from a emotional standpoint
- Talking and having a conversation about a situation that in real-time has long since past
- Having raw emotions that through time, experience, awareness and age I am able to better filter them
As a teenager I would harm myself when these raw emotions would take hold like attacking one’s self for their own emotions because the person in question hasn’t yet pieced together they are coming from themselves this to me a that point in time a a paradox but a worthy one to working through.
OTHER FACTORS THAT COULD BE INVOLVED
Other factors would depend on the person’s autism profile and fruit salad that would have an impact on the presentation of alexithymia such as
- Visual perceptual disorders and not having a visual memory to process people, situations, words and mentalise thoughts.
- Language processing disorders such as aphasia and verbal auditory agnosia needing time to find and extract words that have inner meaning to the person.
- Body disconnectivity and not sensing or perceiving their own bodily messages
- Diet and food intolerances are undiagnosed food intolerances having an impact on their functioning?
Paul Isaacs 2017