This is a personal overview of my Autism “Fruit Salad”
For the first 5 years of my life I was functionally non-verbal (internal jumbles of sounds with words within myself but unable to come out) and there was a massive disconnect, words were sounds, sounds had no origin, language was internally and externally jumbled so I had no language with meaning in my head, people were fragmented blobs making “noises” to each other, when I had budding moments of connectivity I lost them due to a mouth and tongue not coordinating. Of course the capacity for words was within me and words were within me but sensory perceptual issues and coordination issues played their part in this.
I did begin to piece things together I was aware of what others were saying about me in the playground at primary school for example, this is documented in my first book Living Through The Haze.
Parts of my Fruit Salad played apart in this such as
- Simultagnosia – seeing things in bits and pieces, losing “wholes” and “connecting dots things where all fragmented.
- Semantic Agnosia – I touched to perceive, to experience, to navigate, to sense, to connect, to understand my own self in relation to other and I also touched to communicate.
- Aphasia – words were like sounds with no meaning, context or function other than it was a sound emitted from a fragmented blob as time progressed contextually words would come. and go however because of my outward behaviour I listened to some very ignorant things about myself without others connecting I was listening/processing.
- Auditory Agnosia – I heard sounds and even now I wonder contextually where they come from sometimes sounds fill with wonder and confusion.
- Visual-Verbal Agnosia – This along with Dyslexia made it hard for me to read with meaning and an understanding of what was on the page in front of me.
- Oral Apraxia – One of the reasons I struggled to speak in the early years was the physically disconnect between my brain finding words and my body expressing them.
- Echolalia/Echopraxia/Echomimia – These were used during my period of development where I was experimenting with words and movements and sounds – this was during the time I acquired functional speech
More info on my webpage about speech and language processing
I loved Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and Hook my gateway to movement and language – when functional expressive speech came at 7/8 years old, it was developmentally that of a 3 year old I have to admit I was scared of this new language and wanted to go back but I kept moving forward. I still rely on the sensing system and at home I use this language still, I am glad that had parents that didn’t write me off. 🙂
All Profiles Are Different & Other Forms Of Communication
Please realise that all different profiles are different and please also be aware the people who do not speak through their mouths have a human right to be able communicate, this is something I feel strongly about and something that should be embraced and acknowledged.
Paul Isaacs 2014