It is not very often that somebody comes along and gives you the tools of understanding the whats? and the why? But I can honestly say that Donna Williams has done that for me and so many others on the Autistic spectrum over many years, empowerment is to give someone the confidence and ability to take hold of their life, understand their abilities and disabilities. I first saw Donna in 2008 at a conference in Oxford and we have been friends on Facebook and she has on a personal level helped me understand the “mechanics” of my Autism which I shall be forever grateful for her help, kindness and assistance. She has taught me a lot of things about keeping it real and not forgetting that Autism is APART of you and not the WHOLE of you. 🙂 Thanks Donna.
This model is lateral and takes a holistic open-minded approach to autism what is, this model is person centred and is for empowerment and positivity. 🙂
FRUIT SALAD ANALOGY (D.WILLIAMS)
The Fruit Salad takes in all aspects of the person’s profile this includes
- Information Processing
- Identity and Personality
- Learning and Communication Profiles
DONNA BOOKS USING THE FRUIT SALAD ANALOGY/APPROACH
THE JUMBLED JIGSAW (2005)
Paul’s Autism Fruit Salad Updated 2014
Receptive/Expressive Language & Movement Issues (Speech & Communication)
- Speech Delay
- Language Delay
- Speech Apraxia (Verbal Dyspraxia)
- Selective Mutism – (once functional speech was acquired)
- Tic Disorder
- Globus Pharyngis – 8 Years old – was called a “Nervous Throat”
- Semantic Agnosia (Meaning Blindness)
- Simultagnosia (Object Blindness)
- Prosopagnosia (Face Blindness)
- Visual – Verbal Agnosia
- Colour Agnosia (Recognise red with “meaning”)
- Mirror Agnosia
- Form Agnosia
Dissociative Disorders – Recognised in 2012/Revised 2014
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Dissociative Disorder Nos (DDnos)
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Exposure Anxiety
- Schizotypal Personality Disorder (During late 2000s)
- Borderline Personality Disorder (During late 2000s)
- Bruxism – Teeth Gnashing
- Genetics – Developmental Agnosias
Syndromes – Which make up a large part of my “Fruit Salad”
- Gertsmann Syndrome – Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, Finger Agnosia, Left-Right Disorientation & Aphasia.
- Scotopic Sensitivity Syndrome/ Light Sensitivity/Sensory Integration Disorder – Light Sensitive Depth Perception, Headaches, Fatigue – Associated with Dyslexia, Dyscalculia and Dysgraphia, Visual Fragmentation.
- Premie Syndrome – Jaundice, Cerebral Hypoxia (lack of oxygen to brain), Silent Stoke, Brain Injury (Left Hemisphere) Auditory Agnosias, Aphasia, Visual Agnosias, Pain Agnosia, Colour Agnosia, Echolalia, Echopraxia, Echomimia, Speech & Language Delay and other issues such as Oral Apraxia & Visuospatial Dysgnosia & Form Agnosia)
- Middle Cerebral Artery Syndrome (Aphasias, Agnosias, Ataxia) – Related to Brain Injury
- Multiple Complex Developmental Disorder (MCDD) – Depression, Anxiety, Dissociative Issues, Sleep Disorder, Synaesthesia, Tic Disorder.
- Genetics – Developmental Agnosias – Alexithymia, Social Emotional Agnosia, Dyslexia, Scotopic Sensitivity Syndrome.
Paul Isaacs Adult with Autism 2014